Ahrefs is one of my most used tools, but I rarely use the rank tracking capabilities. Most of my usage is centered around competitor research, and I don’t think there is a better tool on the market today.
I think that you should have an Ahrefs subscription, but I do not think that you should use their rank tracker tool for the tactical approach I laid out in the top section of this article.
This review is part of a buyers guide
For the full experience, view the rest of the rank tracker reviews.
One utility it does have, however, is every week I get an email with keywords that my sites were found for that entered the front page. I like this report, and sometimes I do get campaign ideas based on some movement, similar to what I describe using GSC above.
- Nearly a must-have all around tool.
- Handy, surprisingly actionable weekly email summary.
- If you do get it, you have all of their other really good tools.
- Not a great fit for the tactical campaign approach.
- Not as configurable as many other options.
- Expensive if just being used for rank tracking.
- Only tracks Google.
Which search engines are supported?
What’s the price?
Ahrefs starts at $99 per month for 500 keywords.